Transcrisur Team – Choluteca, Honduras
Transcrisur (a word that stands for the Spanish translation of “Christian Holistic Transformation of the South”) is the name of the cooperative ministry staff based in Choluteca, a city of 120,000 people located in southern Honduras. The team of pastors and leaders come from the Honduran national church and World Gospel Mission.
Transcrisur was born out of the Hurricane Mitch disaster in October 1998. A pastoral family from the national church began holding services in their home and helped distribute relief aid that was generously given to WGM. The ministry quickly grew to two churches. More ministry help was needed, so a missionary couple moved to Choluteca in 2000. Another missionary arrived in 2006 to help with youth and recreation ministries.
The Transcrisur team works together under a team model. Their vision is to be a vibrant church that actively participates in the community, encourages holistic transformation of all people in Choluteca, and extends the ministry beyond the borders of Honduras into Nicaragua. Everything done in Choluteca is geared toward the transformation of the community. God has provided a dedicated team of people who work together and use their distinct talents in ministry.
The team’s five areas of focus are church planting, healthcare, economic needs, education, and recreation.
- The church-planting ministry has five established congregations and several new beginning congregations. A regional Bible institute has also been established.
- The regional church operates a Community Health Education program.
- The economic development ministry helps individuals in the community develop small businesses. This has moved from a "relief" effort following Hurricane Mitch to a development model of helping people find solutions to housing needs.
- A local church operates an after-school program for children. A vocational school provides technical training in four areas—sewing, automotive mechanics, welding, and computer repair. Future courses may include nursing, agriculture, and construction system management.
- With a large number of youth in the church and community, there are plans to build a recreation center. Sports activities are conducted in one of the local churches and at the vocational school.